Team Sambhrama "Thank" Mrs. Sangeetha for agreeing to be a guest blogger. Please read her additional posts from her blog Eat N Eat Little More...
"Broken wheat vegetable Kichdi"
I was very glad when I received a request to draft a guest post for this beautiful space. I feel honored to post here. Moreover this is my very first guest post after coming into the field of blogging. I sincerely thank Sambhrama for giving me an opportunity to write up a recipe for toddlers. So today I'm here with a recipe of Broken Wheat Vegetable Khichdi / bulgar Wheat and Vegetable porridge.
Healthy I must say as it involves broken wheat, rice and whole lot of different veggies. I have used very few spices such as cumin seeds, turmeric powder and salt thereby making it an ideal dish for a toddler. I often feed my kid with this. I adapted the recipe from Tarla Dalal's toddler recipes. I find this to be a perfect meal for my kid. Broken wheat provides fibrous content, rice giving carbohydrates, little amount of ghee giving the right amount of fat and the veggies adding lot of nutrients. It is a comfort food for me too at times. Here I share the recipe.
Makes 1 cup of khichdi / porridge
Broken wheat/bulgar wheat -2 tbsp.
Raw rice-2 tbsp. (I used Sona Masoori)
Carrot-1/2 diced into small pieces
Tomato- 1full chopped into pieces (1/2 tomato if sour)
Capsicum/Paprika- 1/4 diced
Tender green peas-1/4 cup
Spinach- 1/2 cup chopped or 7-8 cubes of frozen spinach
Cumin seeds-1 tsp.
Turmeric pwder-1/4 tsp.
Water-1 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
- Take both broken wheat and rice in a bowl.
- Clean it well with running water twice and let it soak in enough water.
- Add ghee to a pressure cooker.
- When it melts and is hot add cumin seeds and sauté.
- As they crackle add shallots/onions to it and sauté till transparent.
- Then add carrots, capsicum and sauté.
- Now add tomatoes and mix.
- To that add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Followed by that pop in the strained, soaked mixture of broken wheat and rice to it and mix well.
- Now add tender green peas.
- Now pop in the spinach cubes or fresh spinach to it and five a good mix.
- Add water to it, mix well. add salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Khichdi / porridge is ready.
- You could skip or use any vegetables as per your desire.
- Halve or double the proportion as required.
- I used Sona Masoori Brand of rice, use whichever is available.
- I used shallots, if not available use onions.
- I used cubes of frozen spinach, use fresh if available.
About the Author:
Sangeetha, a software engineer by profession, currently stays with her husband Mr. Sreenidhi at Germany with her little cutie daughter Baby Shreeya. Her passion towards cooking and willingness to innovate new varieties of food also gave birth to another talent to blog which is popularly known as "Eat n Eat little More." Click here to read her blog posts. Team Sambhrama wishes all the very best for her future plans...